I don't like cute Halloween decorations and I generally don't make gory stuff. But, I do like things that look realistic and I like to make them CHEAPLY! I typically make my house look like a place that's been abandoned for years with an old picket fence, boarded up windows, tombstones of course, etc. (More Instructables to come).
Anyway, one of my additions this year was this decoration on my front door. If you decorate inside, you could also hang it on a wall.
Here's what you need:
- Metal wall vase
- Cheap foam skull
- Flat black spray paint
- Glue gun (with glue of course)
- Sand (optional)
- Cinnamon and Paprika (What?!?!)
- Spray can of clear sealer
- Dried flowers, weeds, bones, or whatever you want to put in your vase
Step 1: The Vase
Step 2: The Steps to Your New Decoration
- Take your foam skull and slice off the back half of its head. Try to cut it whatever angle is needed so, when the skull is attached to the vase, the skull will be looking straight forward.
- Hot glue the skull to the vase (If you can, use a low temp on the glue gun so it doesn't melt the foam too much). Fill in any spaces between the skull and vase with more glue and put a small line of glue around the entire edge of the skull. This will make it look like it was soldered onto the vase.
- Spray paint the vase and skull with flat black paint. Optional step- Sprinkle the project in various areas with a little sand then paint it again. This gives it some texture and makes it look like its pitted.
- While the paint is still wet, take your cinnamon and paprika and sprinkle it wherever you want it to look like the metal is rusted. I did a light mist of black paint over this and then, when it was almost dry, I used my finger and spread the spices in a few areas. This technique added more shades of rust.
- After the paint has dried, give the project a couple coats of clear sealant spray. This is mainly to keep the spices from disappearing over time.
Step 3: Your New Unique Decoration
***I will be entering this in the 2011 Halloween Decoration Contest. I wanted to enter it early in the contest so everyone could be inspired and have time to make their own. Soooooo, if you enjoyed this, please remember it when it comes time to vote! Thanks and Happy Halloween!!!