Introduction: Halloween Pool Float Costumes
Halloween is right around the corner and if you are still looking for the perfect costume to wear we have that costume for you! These fun and simple pool float costumes involve minimal supplies (some fabric, a hat, and some felt) and are easy enough to make that even a non-sewer like me can do it!
This past summer I always saw so many fun and large pool floats that I decided to take the pool float trend into fall with these swan and flamingo pool float costumes, but you can easily make any pool float you fancy - a unicorn, a black swan - whatever you want!
Step 1: Materials
For these pool float costumes you will need:
- A plain hat in white for the swan and pink for the flamingo
- Felt - black and white for the eyes and black or orange for the beak
- Plain fabric - we used white and pink to match our swan and flamingo bodies
- A plain white or pink t-shirt
- Black leggings
Step 2: Making the Hat
- Start by cutting out 2 circles in the black felt and 2 slightly smaller circles in the white felt for 2 eyes. Sew or hot glue the small white circle to the black circle.
- Next, layer two pieces of black felt (or orange for the swan) on top of each other and cut out a beak shape: Ours was sort of shaped like a long triangle with a curved hook at the end.
- Keeping the two layers of black felt for the beak together, hot glue or sew them together using a basic running stitch.
- Flip the beak inside out and fill it with stuffing.
- Sew on or hot glue the two eyes to your hat. Sew the beak onto the hat by splaying the outer edges down and use a running stitch.
Step 3: Making the Pool Float Body
- Take your fabric and fold it in half along the longest edge (like a hot dog fold). Stitch the edges of your fabric together using a running stitch.
- Flip the fabric inside out and stuff it with stuffing.
- Take the two non-sewn edges of the float and layer one on top of the other and sew them together. You might need an extra set of hands to help hold the fabric in place.
Step 4: Assembling the Costume
Throw on a pink t-shirt or a white t-shirt depending on which costume you picked and your hat and float and you are ready to go! Bonus points for finding a blue floor and 'floating' around on it!
Check out our blog Popcorn & Chocolate for more fun Halloween DIY's! Let us know in the comments below what you are going to be this Halloween!