Hand Carved Bed Head

Published

Introduction: Hand Carved Bed Head

About: My background is in architectural drafting, and I use these skills to design things I make out of wood. I also make tutorials on youtube about using AutoCAD software, and I also write software for use in Au...

I have finally finished carving a bed head project that I decided to make. It is made out of MDF (medium density fibreboard) and stained with acrylic paint and boiled linseed oil. It has taken about 3 weeks to finish the project and cost about $35 all up to make -  that includes the MDF, the prints of the design from Officeworks and the screws from Bunnings. I found some timber in the shed that was perfect for making the legs so no cost there. It is Celtic knot inspired, and the symbols along the bottom are astrological symbols.

www.espie-whitburn-design.com/BedHead.html

Share

    Recommendations

    • Make it Move Contest

      Make it Move Contest
    • Woodworking Contest

      Woodworking Contest
    • Casting Contest

      Casting Contest
    user

    We have a be nice policy.
    Please be positive and constructive.

    Tips

    Questions

    12 Comments

    Looks great, very well done.

    Simply beautiful!

    PS You got my vote for the Furniture Challenge, and 5 stars! A question: Why not use a real wood, (oak or even pine) and why MDF? Just curious... and still looks great!

    2 replies

    Hi, thanks for the vote. I used MDF for a number of reasons. 1. Because it is cheap. 2. I could buy it in one sheet rather than having to join seperate boards together like I would have to with oak or pine. 3. It is easy to carve as it has no grain or knots. 4. The stain I use on it looks great, better than it looks of wood.

    Thanks for clarifying. The final product really is a work of art!

    Another incredible work of art! My Donegal Irish tweed hat is off to you!;-)

    1 reply

    thanks for the compliment, I'm glad you like it

    Hi, I used a carving knife for tracing out the design and 2 different width bevelled chisels. I didn't use any gouges or v-tools