Batik is an ancient method of dying fabric using a wax resist.
Using a vinyl stencil to facilitate your design is a quick and easy way to facilitate the process. The wax may be applied using several different techniques, but I found an electric batik pen to be the most effective when working with vinyl. You could also modify this process using a brush.
What you'll need:
01. Vinyl Cutter
02. Fabric (natural fibers work best, I suggest cotton or linen, silk is also beautiful)
03. Fabric Dye (I used Dye-Na-Flow by Jacquard)
04. Batik Pen OR Wax Pot and Brush
05. Bees Wax -You can buy a special Batik Wax, which is softer and flows easily. Normal bees wax will work fine.
06. Clothes Iron & some scrap paper
This method is only recommended for small scale production.
Batik is a fairly labor-intensive process, if you are interested in producing larger quantities of fabric, I suggest screen printing