I had this idea when I woke up one morning.
Then I did a google search and was upset to see at least two other people had the same genius idea. The final products differ in size and materials, though, and mine trumps all else in regards to massiveness.
This particular moustache is going to my friends Seth, Nathan & Brad. They recently moved into the MANsion, and it's a belated house warming/holiday gift. :D
The pillow is about 45 inches long and ten inches high.
Step 1: Consider moustache types.
I went with a handlebar moustache because I love the shape - they're very graphic and well recognized!
You could do a Sam Elliot, a Zappa, a Hiltler or Kitler, a Fu Manchu, a Jamie Hyneman... the list goes on and on!
Think long and hard about your moustache. Attain moustache nirvana before proceeding.
Step 2: Materials and skills needed.
- felt, in the color of your moustache - I had a couple of yards, which was more than enough!
- 1-2 spools of embroidery thread, depending on the size of your moustache.
- sharp scissors
- fabric glue
- stuffing - 1 to 2 bags, my moustache took closer to 2.
- printer paper and tape to make pattern, as well as something to write with
- embroidery needle
- basic pattern making, as in drawing half a moustache.
- ability to do a blanketstitch
Futuregirl's tutorial on handsewing felt. This is the best! I learned everything I know right here.
Embroidery 101 'ible! This will teach you about using embroidery floss, threading the needle, and another take on the blanketstitch.
Another take on blanketstitch in my how to sew 'ible.