NOTE: This is entirely functional, not to display my jeans. This saves lots of time because I don't have to match up inseams and hang on a hanger. Also, other things can be hung from the carabiner as well (backpack, jacket, etc).
Step 1: Gather Materials
- The polypropylene webbing can be purchased here. I used the 1.5" webbing for this project and purchased 11' in case I wanted to make another later. Cost of webbing (including shipping) was only $4.94 USD ($0.22 per foot + S&H)
- I purchased my carabiner from EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports) for $6.45 USD (student discount). I could have opted for a cheaper one; however, I liked the colors of this carabiner and I felt as if this was the main part of the project. This is the carabiner I used, just in a different color.
- Epoxy -- I had some lying around; therefore, I didn't have to purchase any.
- 3M Command adhesive strips, ~ $3 USD
- Expended gift card
- Permanent Marker (optional)
Step 2: Cut Webbing
When the desired length is determined, cut the webbing with a sharp pair of scissors. Use a lighter to quickly fuse the freshly cut end as to prevent fraying.
Step 3: Mix up Epoxy
A trick I thought of after I adhered one end to the card was to place the remainder of the mixed epoxy in the freezer temporarily. This prevented the mixed epoxy from setting while I was waiting for the first part to set. When I removed the mixed epoxy from the freezer, it was solid, but ten seconds of mixing brought it right back to a usable consistency. I did this so that I didn't have to waste the leftover epoxy and could use it for the next part of the instructable, thus being green by not wasting epoxy.
After the first end was set, I removed the extra epoxy from the freezer, mixed it up again, and applied it to the other end of the webbing. I then folded this end over to form a loop (big enough for the carabiner to go through) and held tightly for 5 minutes so it would set.
Step 4: Attach Ceiling Mounts
For the final project, I used two strips, each rated for 7.5 pounds -- I figured, better safe than sorry.
To apply the strips, follow the directions on the package and attach the appropriate side to the gift card, press firmly to ensure a strong hold. NOTE: Make sure the pull tab overhangs the edge of the card a little, otherwise it will be quite difficult or nearly impossible to remove this later without damaging your ceiling. Look for a good spot on your ceiling to attach this. Obviously you're ceiling needs to be suitable for this (sorry, popcorn-textured ceiling and foam tiles will not work with this method, only drywall and concrete). Once both strips are attached to the card, remove the wax paper backing from the other side of the strips and press the card against the ceiling. Hold firmly against the ceiling for 30 seconds. Now walk away for an hour so that the strips can set up properly.
Step 5: Attach Carabiner
Step 6: Hang Jeans
Also, jeans are not the only think you can hang from this. During the day when I am wearing my jeans, I usually will hang my coat or backpack from the carabiner. Just be careful to not overload it or the adhesives my rip off from the ceiling.
Good luck and please comment!