Step 1: Materials and Tools
- 1 1/2" Dia x 1/8" Wooden Circles - $9 for 50, Etsy.com - These don't have to be circles, there are lots of other shapes out there. If you look around you can find a shape that suites your families, maybe a different shape for either side of the family (If you're married/etc.) and for friends. You will write the names and days of each person on the disk so buy as many or few as you need. Having extra for a growing family is a good idea.
- 26" x 10" x 1" (9.25 x .75) Board - Obviously if your hanging pieces are wider or narrower than 1.5" then you may need/want to adjust the dimensions of the board.
- 5' Wall Molding - I used thin, almost quarter round, molding as trim on the header board to give it a more finished, framed, look.
- Paint, various colors - The board and molding were painted one color, the disks another. You may want to paint one family's circles one color, and the other side of the family a third color. You may also want to paint designs or words onto the header board and/or pieces. (Priming the header board and molding is strongly recommended. I didn't but wish I had.)
- Spackle - Used to fill gaps in the molding corners and holes in the header board's surface.
- 12x Eyelet Screws - These have an eyelet on one end and a small screw on the other, you need one for each month.
- S-Hooks - Essentially two hooks attached at one end forming an S shape, used for hanging the name pieces. You need one for every piece you want to hang plus a couple extras for future expansion.
- Wood Glue - For attaching the molding.
- 2x Picture Hangers - There are several ways to hang this, this is just one.
- Decorative Stuff - Paint pens for writing on the disks, stencils for lettering the board, etc. This is going in your home, let your style and creativity shine.
- Drill and Bits
- Sand Paper
- Palm Sander - Optional but it is much easier than sanding everything by hand.
- Painting Equipment
- Miter Box
- Fishing Line - Floss or very small gauge string will work too.