I just discovered how delicious and healthy fresh sprouts are. So I wanted to grow my own.
Buying equipment was not an option since this was crying out for DIY free or at least cheap solutions.
Thinkenstein brought me to try out his hanging sprout jars:
The jars with the screen in the lid work pretty well, but the hanging-version included a little too much wire bending for me. I´m really lazy. Also I wanted some detachable solution for an easier cleaning of the jars.
So here is what I came up with after thinking about it for a while:
A rubber holder with a keyring for easy handling
- one size fits different (sizes of) jars or can be custom build for larger or smaller jars
- easy to attach and to remove for cleaning
- easily adaptable for hanging the jars upright or upside down
- built in minutes
- no special tools needed, only some scissors
Step 1: Tools and Materials
- a sprouting jar with a screen in the lid (or holes in the lid)
- a piece of bicycle inner tube
- (optional) keyrings
- (optional) hooks