My requirements were ; run the ducting above the rafters, direct venting outside with no filter, as few bends as possible (thus the idea of mounting the cyclone at rafter level) and an easy way to empty the chips and dust. The Harbor Freight 2 HP dust collector is the heart of the project.
Step 1: The Cyclone Conversion
I used ½”OSB plywood to laminate several rings to lift the blower high enough to clear the mid-section.
Step 2: Cut the Thein Baffle
At this point I also glued some blocks on the baffle to attach it to the mid-section. Then I put a bead of silicon down to seal it together. At this point I cut and bent the original stanchions to hold the mid-section to the baffle.
I used latex caulk to seal the dust box during assembly. The box wound up being 2’x2’ by 4’ high. I also added a hinged trap door at the bottom.
I added 4" PVC duct pipes overhead and used 2 Harbor freight dust collector accessory kits to connect my Unisaw, radial arm saw, planer, home brewed panel saw and bead blasting cabinet.