When we chose "Harry Potter" as the theme, I grabbed the chance of making magic wands as a base.
There are, of course, many other excellent wand-making instructables, but they tend to assume that you will not be working in a tent, in a field, without electricity.
This is my take on the trope, biased towards basic Scouting skills.
Step 1: Preparation
- A ball of natural cord, string or twine.
- Scissors (to cut the string).
- A roll of masking tape and a pen.
- (Optional) Sandpaper
- (Optional) Files or sandpaper files.
- (Optional) Enough small, sharp knives for the size of the group.
When collecting twigs, pay careful attention to the campsite rules and be respectful of the woodland environment. Do not cut branches or twigs from trees without permission, and never rip them off. Collect them from dead trees or fallen branches.