Introduction: Hawaiian Snowman Holiday Ornament
Winter holidays are very different in Hawaii compared to the rest of the US. We wanted to share with you how we would build a snowman if we had the snow to make one!
Supplies: 3D printer, superglue or epoxy, pipe cleaner.
Adult supervision recommended.
Step 1: Download the .STL Files
Save all of the files to a folder on your desktop or a location you can remember. Make sure that you have all 6 files:
- Left Arm
- Right Arm
Step 2: Import Your First .STL File Into the Slicer Program
For best results, print one part at a time.
For demonstration, I am using MakerBot Desktop, but other applications are pretty similar.
- Import the file by clicking 'Add File' (pictured)
- Find the first .STL file that you saved
- Click 'Open'
- If a box comes up that says 'Put Object on Platform?', click 'Move to Platform'. This will make the next step easier.
Step 3: Adjust the Part to Fit
- Reposition the part by dragging it into the middle of the bed.
- Rotate the part so that the flat side touches the bed using the 'Turn' tool (pictured).
- Click 'Lay Flat' to rest the part on the bed (pictured).
Pictured above are recommended orientations for printing the parts. As a general rule, the parts should be as flat as possible on the bed, since it minimizes the number of layers that the 3D printer must print.
Step 4: Export From Your 3D Slicer
Since my 3D printer works with an SD card, I am demonstrating this method.
- Insert your SD card into your computer or into an SD card reader on your computer.
- Click 'Export Print File' (pictured)
- Wait for it to process (pictured)
- When the program finished processing the job, click 'Export Now' (pictured)
- Locate your SD card, name your file, and click 'Save' (pictured)
Step 5: Repeat!
Repeat steps 2-4 until you have 6 files on your SD card that represent the 6 printer jobs.
Step 6: Print!
Follow the recommended instructions of your 3D printer to print out each of your parts.
Step 7: Assemble!
Using the pictures as a reference, glue together the components of the snowman.Be sure to follow the usage and drying instructions for the glue or epoxy that you use.
Be careful not to get any glue on yourself!
Thread the pipe cleaner through the hole and hang it on your tree.