Introduction: Headlamp Lens Restoration
First Instructable :)
In ireland there are stringent tests carried out on older cars every 12months. Earlier in the year my car failed for headlamp beam clarity as a result of discoloured, heavily scratched and cloudy/opaque headlamp lenses.
I had two options
-1. Replace both headlamps €€€€
- 2. Try a headlamp restoration kit
I opted for option 2 at a cost of €18 and I must say I was shocked at how well the process worked. That is why I write this Instructable as I was initially skeptical but the results were remarkable and worth knowing about
Step 1: Required Items
A headlamp restoration kit.
I opted for a German branded manual kit. The kit comprised of
1. Varying sheets of fine wet sandpapers (2000-5000 grit)
2. A soft sanding block
3. A cleaning cloth
4. A polishing cloth
5. Polishing paste
6. Lens sealer spray
- A car sponge
- Workshop Paper roll
- A water spray bottle (helps with the wet sanding process
- WD-40 (or mild degreasing solvent)
Step 2: Clean the Headlamps
I used water, then WD-40 to fully clean and degrease 10year of grime from the headlamps
Step 3: Follow the Instructions!!
Just follow the instruction manual for the kit. Note: the headlamps were heavily scratched so the sanding process was key to the success of this project.
In summary the process is:
1. Wet sand the lenses using the 2000 paper. This step removes macro scratch defects from the lens. I spent 20mins per headlamp
2. Wet sand the lenses using the 3000 paper. Further removes and polishes more micro defects from the lenses ~20mins
3. Wet sand the lenses using the 5000 paper ~15mins. This removes and cleans up the surface of the lenses to a perfectly smooth finish.
4. Rub in the polishing compound using the polishing cloth. Apply generous amounts and rub in using small circular motions. This step shines and removes any discolouration. ~10mins
5. Wipe down the headlamps with water and dry using the workshop paper
6. Spray on the sealant and lightly buff to a haze. Leave for 15min then wipe down
7. Finally clean the headlamps with water
Note: it's worth spending time completing the sanding stages to achieve the best result
Step 4: Before, During and After Images
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.