Introduction: Health and Security Cloud System - Digilent Design Contest 2015
The purpose of this project is to help persons with heart deficiencies. In order to do this, the project is able to take the ECG signal from the body, to process it and send some samples to the cloud. Also the project is able to monitor the person activity(if the person is active / inactive or he has fallen down). All this information will be available to a doctor via Exosite cloud system.
Step 1: Bill of Materials
1. Digilent ChipKit WF32 microcontroller board
2. Digilent PmodACL
3. Digilent PmodENC
4. Digilent PmodOLED
5. Olimex ECG shield
6. Electrodes and cables
7. Plexiglas for support board (1/2 m^2)
8. Some wires
Step 2: How to Make the Support Board
The support board will hold all the components together and gives a brilliant design to the project.
With a drilling machine, abrasive tape and some basic tools, design the support board from plexiglas as you want.
After designing the support board, fix the components with screws on it.
Step 3: Encoder Debouncing
Because the encoder is a mechanical part, you need to debounce the signal of the encoder in order to obtain good results.
For this, solder two 100nF capacitors between A - GND and B - GND.
The button of the encoder is debounced by software.
Step 4: Wire Connections
Connect the ECG shield above the ChipKit microcontroller board.
Connect the display, the accelerometer and the encoder as in image above.
Step 5: Exosite Cloud (IoT)
- Make a new account on https://portals.exosite.com
- Add a new generic device and complete the alias with "hscs"
- Each device has its own CIK code. You will have to copy this code into the main program.
- Create 3 new data with aliases: "ecg", "person", "ecgDet" with data type "string".
Step 6: How to Upload the Program
- Download MPIDE from chipkit website and install it.
- Download and unzip the program attached below.
- Connect the chipKit WF32 board to a computer using a mini USB cable.
- From MPIDE tools menu select the board type and the serial port used by the board.
- From MPIDE File->Preferences->Sketchbook location, select the mpide directory from the downloaded archive.
- From MPIDE open the main program file located at: your downloaded archive->mpide->libraries->ECG->mainWF32->mainWF32.pde
- Using the upload button, download the program into the microcontroller
Step 7: Save Data to SD Card
If you don't have a WiFi router to connect to, the data can also be saved on a SD card. Place a FAT32 formatted card into the slot and restart the system.
Step 8: Files and Documentation