This soup helps you recover fast from illness.It is very healthy and highly nutritious soup loaded with goodness of barley..!!
Also its not just healthy but a delicious soup.. :)
This recipe will serve 4 persons.
Step 1: Ingredients
- Chicken legs - 2
- Onion - 1 (medium)
- Carrots - 2 (medium)
- Rolled oats - 1/2 cup
- Sweet corn kernels - 1/2 cup
- Cucumber - 1 (small) (de-seeded and cubed)
- Coriander - 1 tbsp
- Corn flour - 1/2 tbsp
- Bay leaf - 1
- Peppercorns - 5-7
- Olive oil/butter - 2 tbsp
- salt to taste
- pepper powder - 1/4 tsp
- water - 10 cups
Step 2: Prepare the Stock
- wash chicken well.
- Peel,wash and cut carrots into 1 inch batons.
- Peel,wash and slice onions.
- take seven cups of water in a heavy bottom vessel, add bay leaf,peppercorns ,carrots,onions and chicken legs.
- boil on medium heat, removing scum from time to time.
- cook for around half an hour on medium heat.
- strain the stock and keep it aside.
- take the chicken and shred the meat.
- discard bay leaf and peppercorns.
- roughly mash carrots and onions.
and dissolve the corn flour in 1 cup water.
Step 3: Make the Soup
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil or butter in another pan on low heat.(I used olive oil to make the soup healthy)
- saute the sweet corn kernels for 3 mins.
- drain water from soaked oats.
- add oats to the pan and cook for 5 mins.
- add reserved stock and continue cooking for another half an hour.
- season with salt and pepper powder.
- add shredded chicken and mashed carrots n onions to the oats mixture and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- add dissolved corn flour,cook for a minute and remove from heat.
- add chopped coriander and stir.
- serve piping hot , garnished with cubes of cucumber.
Stay healthy..! :)