Introduction: Healthy Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins
These delicious Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins are a healthier alternative to classic “bakery style” muffins. With wholesome ingredients, these muffins are so simple to make and don’t require any fuss or fancy mixers.
Step 1: Ingredients
¼ cup butter, melted and cooled
¼ cup canola oil (or melted coconut oil)
½ cup Greek yogurt
1 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups + 1 tbsp whole wheat flour
¾ cup organic cane sugar (or coconut sugar)
4 tsp baking powder
1½ cup blueberries, fresh or frozen (if frozen, do not thaw)
OPTIONAL: Almond Topping
¼ cup whole wheat flour
2 tbsp brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
1½ tsp cinnamon
¾ cup raw almonds, chopped
2 tbsp butter, softened
Step 2: Prepare Batter
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly grease muffin tins and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk butter, oil, yogurt, buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, sift 2 cups flour, sugar, and baking powder.
- Fold dry ingredients into wet just until combined. IMPORTANT: Do NOT overmix!
- Toss blueberries with remaining 1 tbsp flour and vey gently fold into batter.
Step 3: Almond Topping
For the topping, combine all flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, almonds, and butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filled muffin cups and gently press to adhere topping to batter.
Step 4: Bake
- Fill prepared muffin cups to brim with batter.
- Bake muffins at 425 degrees F for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to 375 degrees and continue baking 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool muffins in pan 10 minutes, then transfer to wire cooling rack.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.