With the weather getting cooler, there's nothing quite like a warm bowl of hearty vegetable stew. This take on ratatouille includes extra fiber and protein, thanks to the beans and tofu.
Step 1: Ingredients
- vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- vegetable stock bouillon cube
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes (796ml)
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of mixed beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 zucchinis, chopped
- 1 eggplant, chopped into cubes
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 package of firm tofu, cubed
- salt and pepper
Step 2: Cook Onions and Tomatoes
Heat up a bit of cooking oil in the bottom of a large pot.
Cook the onions, garlic, basil, oregano, and thyme on low heat until the onions start to brown. Stir frequently so the onions don't burn.
Add the diced tomatoes and bouillon cube. Bring the pot to a boil.
Step 3: Add Veggies
Add the chopped vegetables, beans and tofu to the pot. Add enough water to reach all the veggies (about 2 cups).
Bring to a boil and then simmer for an hour. Stir occasionally.
Season with salt and pepper.
This yummy meal freezes well, so you should have plenty of leftovers for another day!