This is an instruction on how to create an arduino which will prevent you from eating too fast by alerting you. It will be attached to chopsticks and if you start eating too fast, the wristband will start vibrating.
Step 1: Soldering Wires and Checking the Acceleration
First, you'll need to purchase:
- Sparkfun 3-Achsen Beschleunigungssensor Breakout - ADXL335 (sensor)
- Seeed Studio Grove - Vibrator (vibrator)
- Adafruit GEMMA - Portable Miniature electronic platform (portable platform)
- Coin Cell Battery Holder - 2xCR2032 (battery container)
- 2 Panasonic CR-2032/BN Knopfzelle Lithium 3V 220mAh CR2032 (batteries)
- JST (power connector)
- wires for connecting all of them.
1) Solder all the wires needed to connect Gemma, vibrator, and sensor.
2) To check the acceleration, you have to connect the wires from accelerator to used sketch to see if it is shaking. The connected wires and where to connect them are shown in the last two pictures. Use the coding of the accel z shown in the picture to check if it shakes.
3) Connect wires of the battery container to the JST (power connector)
4) Disconnect after checking the accelerator.
Step 2: Connecting Gemma to PC / Laptop
1) Connect the Vibrator SIG wire to D1 Gemma, Vibrator VCC wire to 3vo Gemma, and Vibrator GND to Gemma GND.
2) Connect the Gemma to your PC or laptop with the right USB (usbtiny USB), shown in the picture.
3) Download and open adafruit
4) Select Tools - Board - Adafruit gemma
5) Select Tools - program - usbtiny USB
6) Select Example - Blink
7) Press the switch of the gemma and upload the code from the computer.
Step 3: Using the Batteries
1) Connect Sensor GND to Gemma GND, sensor VCC to gemma 3vo, sensor z to gemma D2.
2) Connect Gemma to your PC / laptop again with the usb, press the switch of gemma, and while it's vibrating, upload the code shown in the 5th picture.
3) Disconnect the gemma from your PC / laptop, and connect the power connector (battery) to gemma.
4) Check if the vibrator vibrate when you shake the sensor very fast.
Step 4: Attaching It to Your Chopsticks
1) Attach the sensor to the tip of the one of your chopsticks with a super glue, or a hot glue gun.
2) Attach the Gemma, Vibrator, and battery container to a thick wristband with a super glue or a hot glue gun. Leave enough length of the wires so that you will be able to move your chopsticks freely.
3) Eat food slowly! If not, the vibrator on your wrist will alert you for eating too fast.