Step 1: First ingredients
- 2 pounds of stew meat (beef) cut into small cubes
- 1/2 pound of beef stick summer sausage sliced and quartered
- 2 medium onions cut into eighths
- 4 medium carrots in thick slices
- 2 stalks of celery sliced diagonally
- 1 can of kernel corn (10 to 12 ounces)
- 1/3 cup of quick-cooking tapioca
- 3 or 4 medium potatoes quartered and sliced
I added part of each of these in a continuous rotation so they are already mixed as I place them into the crock pot. Press these down into the crock pot to make room for the lid, if necessary. Normally I peel the potatoes, but decided to leave the skin on this time. The skins are supposed to contain good nutrients.
Remember that this is stew, and you can use whatever you have. Add something extra that is not in the recipe, if you like. If you do not have some ingredient or find it difficult to get, do not worry. Stew ingredients can be flexible.
Step 2: Spices, etc.
- 1 Tablespoon of sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of salt (maximum--less if you are restricting sodium in your diet)
- 1/2 teaspoon of basil
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/2 cup of bourbon whiskey
- 10 to 12 ounces of tomato sauce