My biggest complaint about Helping Hands is the small and often unstable base. I didn't want to make a larger base for it since that would get even more in the way. I decided that a good set of hands is nothing without a good arm behind it. So i went online and found the cheapest swing arm desk lamp i could find. I figured with the help of the Shape Lock i could create some sort of coupling part to join the Hands to the arm.
Here is how i improved on my set of Helping Hands.
- Helping Hands ($7 http://www.amazon.com/Helping-Third-Magnifier-Magnifying-Glass/dp/B0015YJV7S)
- Swing Arm Desk Lamp ($12 http://www.amazon.com/Swing-Desk-Lamp-Clamp-Black/dp/B004MH9A2Q)
- Shape Lock ($15 http://www.makershed.com/product_p/mkshl1.htm)
- Flashlight (any will do as long as it offers the lighting you want.
- 2x screws/bolts w/ nuts (your choice in size but you won't need anything over an inch long. I used what i had on hand)
- Box Cutter
- 3/16 inch Drill Bit
- Screw driver/wrench (whatever is appropriate for the screw/bolt your using)