If you're like me, you may or may not have secret files plotting world domination and other devious deeds. These files obviously need to be hidden from the prying eyes of sisters, FBI agents, grandparents, etc. We are going to convert a phone jack in the wall into a secret USB memory device.
Note: I am not responsible for any illegal files or folders hidden on this device. Use your discretion before downloading any content you may believe to be illegal.
Now, with that out of the way, lets start building!
Side-note: check out my newest online project APERTUREshift!
Step 1: What You Need
I did this project without spending a dime. If, however, you aren't privileged to have a box full of miscellaneous wires, you may have to buy some cheap items.
1. Quality USB cable - I used an old iPod cable.
2. RJ-11 cord - Make sure there are four wires inside by looking through the clear connector. If you only see two wires, find a different cable.
3. A USB extension cord - make sure one of the ends is female. (You can go without this but you will have to break open your memory stick, and mess around inside...not suggested.)
4. USB stick containing your secret data.
5. And finally, the phone jack from the wall.
1. Zippo or a different, inferior lighter.
2. Shrink tubing - If you don't have some of this stuff around the house, you should be ashamed of yourself.
3. Knife or wire strippers.
5. Solder and soldering iron.
Step 2: Castrate the Male
The first thing you will want to do is cut off the male end of the USB extender. Keep as much wire on the female side as possible. (1st pic)
Strip the plastic, braided shielding, and foil shielding off the wires. USB 2.0 uses four wires to transfer 5VDC and data. However, my extender had a fifth unshielded copper wire that helped keep everything from crimping. This fifth wire is useless, and I cut it off. (2nd pic)