Introduction: Hide Your Thumb Drive in Plain Sight
Different things have different values to different people. For some people it is cash, others jewelry, and others its data! Whatever it is you value, you want to keep it safe. That usually means to hide it!
My Instructable is going to show a simple, yet effective way to hide your data by leaving it out in the open.
“WHAAAAAAT?!?!!? JokerDAS has gone off planet!”
Well, that may be true, but not for this! You heard me right! The best place to hide something is in plain sight!
I am going to convert a ubiquitous USB charger into a thumb drive case so it can be overlooked.
Step 1: Bits for Your Bytes
Every portable electronic device now comes with a USB charger. So chances are, you have a handful of them lying in a drawer you never use. Pick one.
Next, you will need a USB thumb drive. Find one that is the same length as your charger.
You will also need some tools:
- A knife to open the charger
- Pliers to gut the charger
- Hot glue gun and glue
Step 2: Crack Open the Case 1
You need to open the plastic case of the USB charger.
The USB charger I used had a seam along the end cap.
- With the knife, carefully pry off the end cap along the seam. You need to keep the end cap in one piece!
- Next, with the pliers pull out the circuit board from inside the charger.
- Finally, check to insure the end cap snaps back onto the case.
Step 3: Crack Open the Case 2
This time you need to open the housing of the USB thumb drive.
- Again, with the knife, VERY CAREFULLY pry open the thumb drive housing.
- If it is glued into the case, carefully wiggle it back and forth so you do not damage the board.
- Slide the naked thumb drive into the case to make sure it fits all the way in.
Step 4: Secure That Naked Drive!
You have an empty shell of a charger, an end cap and a naked thumb drive.
- With the hot glue gun, add glue to the inside of the end cap.
- Hold the naked drive into the glue until it sets.
- Add more glue as needed.
- Coat the rest of the board with glue to cover the components.
- Let cool.
Step 5: These Are Not the Droids You're Looking For!
Now it is time to close it and hide it.
- Line it up the drive into the case and slide it in.
- The end cap should snap in place.
- It can be opened again just by pulling the end cap.
- Toss it in the junk drawer to hide it in plain sight.
Nobody gives a second look to a bunch of USB charges and cables sitting in a drawer!
NOTE! Make sure you do not attempt to plug in this charger! The metal contact inside the case may be touching the metal plug of the USB drive!!!
I hope you find this to be a helpful way to hide your valuable data.
And as always, thanks for checking out my Instructable!
Third Prize in the
Hiding Places Contest 2017
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.