Background: This article is continuation of earlier article entitled “Simple Solar Day Lamp which lasts for 15 years” available at following link:
In the earlier article, construction of a small 5W day lamp was described. Here, how to make a high power solar day lamp is described. Apart from providing more light this design also offers following advantages:
1. 10% more light.
2. For increased power output, current still remains same as that for 5W version. Thus it still uses the same cheaper cable.
3. Improved construction, which provides better light reflection and safety to LEDs from damage.
Step 1: Material required:
1. Aluminum U Channel
2. Wooden batten
3. Wood screws 0.5” long
4. Plastic or fiber washers 3 mm inner diameter
5. 23 White LEDs 1W rating
6. 3 Way terminal strip and mounting screw/nut.
7. Four Solar PV panels of 12V 5 W rating (OR Two 24V 10W panels)
Please see the earlier article which provides step by step guidelines for making the LED array. Only different here is that we are making a bigger array with 23 LEDs.