Step 1: What you'll need:
- Assorted old sweaters (100% wool)
- Old pillowcase
- Sewing supplies
- Sewing machine (optional)
- Embroidery floss
- Embroidery needle
Step 2: Searching for vintage sweaters
- Separate your sweaters into darks and lights.
- Place your sweaters into an old pillowcase and tie the top — this helps capture the fibers that will come out of the sweater in the wash.
- Wash in hot water and rinse in cold water.
- Don’t use fabric softener.
- Transfer the sweaters to the dryer, keep them in the pillowcase and dry on high heat. Some wool sweaters may need a second cycle of washing and drying to get the desired felted result.
- Iron the sweaters flat before using.
Pin your stocking together with the sewn decorative pieces on the inside. Sew perimeter of stocking. Turn right side out. Iron the edge of the stocking.