Step 1: Gather Ingredients For Dough
1 cup granulated sugar
2 sticks of butter room temp
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp vanilla
2 tablespoon baking powder
1 tsp salt
vegetable oil for frying
Brown paper bag or paper towel for drying
Ingredients for the toppings and stuffing
(depending on which ones you decide to make)
Step 2: Making Dough
2. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. Rub butter into the flour with your hands.
4. Add vanilla to the sugar/egg mixture.
5. Put mixture into a mixer and mix (using dough hook) and slowly add the flour/butter mixture.
6. Let dough rest in a cool dry place for at least 30 minutes.
Step 3: Prep For Frying
Roll each piece out like a rope about the width of your index finger and 12 inches long.
( If you are making stuffed struffoli then see steps 8,9, and 10 before continuing on and frying)
Cut into 1 inch pieces.
Toss the pieces with enough flour to dust.
Shake off excess flour.