Introduction: Homemade Mustache Wax
When growing a righteous mustache (moustache for the non-American readers), a man must sooner or later come to grips that he must use some tools to tame the labium superius oris beast. Trimming and combing can help out, but for the truly virtuous mustache, pomade is what you seek. Due to the location of the mustache, care must be given to the type of ointments. One might consume small portions of the product and thus one of the non-pronounceable ingredients.
I’ve chosen to go the all natural route, with a very simple recipe with equal parts beeswax and coconut oil. Beeswax melts at body temperature and coconut oil is very heat stable, slow to oxidize, and resistant to rancidity (which is good for storage). Both of these ingredients are human consumable, so I’m not worried about eating with the wax in use.
For a small batch that should last a few weeks, I went with 1 oz (by weight) of each. you will only need one tool; a double boiler (and I guess a scale).
1) Start by bringing 2” of water to a boil.
2) Add the beeswax and stir till its completely melted. Be careful with this, aerosoled beeswax can ignite and possible explode, so go easy with the heat.
3) Add the coconut oil and stir till melted and completely mixed.
4) Pour into some heat resistant storage container (I chose a small Pyrex glass tray).
5) Let it cool down for 30 minutes or longer - I’m not sure how long, just don’t go and burn yourself.
Once the wax has set, you can store it in a dry, cool place. To apply, just rub your fingers into the wax till it warms up. Using small portions at a time, work it into the mustache. Comb to style. Go out and enjoy the compliments you’ll receive on your awesome mustache!
5 People Made This Project!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.