For a long time, honey, ginger, and lemon have been recognized for their homeopathic properties. When combined, they make a knock-out remedy against a myriad of ailments. This elixer will relieve many of the symptoms that accompany flu, cold, infection and inflammation. Just check out some of the natural properties of these ingredients:
Honey: antibacterial, antioxidant, antitumor, anti-inflammatory, and antiviral
Ginger: antiviral, anti-inflammatory, aids digestion, effective against human respiratory syncytial virus
Lemon: antiseptic, aids digestion, great source of calcium, magnesium, vitamin C, bioflavonoids
So you can see how combining these elements will create a tasty treat that will relieve your aches, pains, indigestion, and even help you breathe a little better.
- Fresh lemon
- Fresh ginger
- Raw honey*
- Slice lemon into quarters and pack into jar
- Grate ginger, and add to lemon (the amount is up to you - the more the better, I say!)
- While stirring, fill jar with honey
- Add 1 tablespoon (or more to taste) to hot water and stir
This also makes a great holiday or house warming gift! Just add a label with directions and the use-by date. Jar can be stored in the frige for up to 3 months.
And for a portable version, make your own cough drops!
* Please note: honey is not intended for use by children under 12 months of age.