I decided that for Christmas last year I was going to make my family something special. I settled on the idea for a video game-based statue for my Mom. But what awesome thing could I make for my brothers and close friends? I decided to make homemade action figure versions of them (and myself).
Here is a list of the supplies I used:
-Wax + Melting pot
-(Optional) Hot plate/Individual burner
-Paint (I used Testors model kit paint)
-Paint brushes (Should be obvious)
-Sharp knife of some kind
-Urethane plastic mix
-Silicone rubber mix
-Sculpting tool set
-Slight sculpting skill
-Hot glue gun and glue sticks
-Heavy duty page protectors
-Card stock, or thick paper
-Creative use of materials
-TIME (Possibly the most important thing)
(By the way, if you ever plan to make homemade gifts, be sure to start before November. Learn from my mistake.)
Step 1: Initial attempts
I started by making small joints out of wood and metal for the elbows, knees, hips, shoulders, wrists, ankles, waist and neck. After that, I used the modeling clay to sculpt the body. I did a decent job, but I could not get a good head at that scale. I also ran into proportion issues. After putting a lot of time into this figure, I put all the parts together and decided it didn't look as good as I had hoped.
After abandoning my other attempt, I went to Wal-Mart and looked through their G.I. Joe figures. I found one called "Tunnel Rat" that looked like he was in street clothes. I bought the figure and took it home. I divided the figure up into pieces and made a plaster mold, because I still was going to use my idea for keeping the figures with the same body. Having a mold of it would mean I could reproduce the figure's body as many times as I needed.
After I made the mold, I sculpted five heads for the figures. I tried to keep everything similar in size to the original. They didn't look that good, but I thought after being painted it would look better. I then made a separate mold for the heads out of plaster.
Instead of purely white plastic, I wanted to make the arms and faces first, so I mixed in some plastic dye to make a skin tone. This was on Christmas morning along with my failed Dr. Mario, and it suffered a similar fate. I found out the hard way that apparently plastic and plaster fuse together. I tried desperately to pry the plastic out of the mold, but it was no use. (An expensive mistake).