2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup shortening
1/3 to 1/2 cup cold water
8 granny smith apples
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp flour
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp butter/margarine
Step 1: Make Crust
2. Cut in shortening with a fork until pieces are in small clumps.
3. Slowly sprinkle water over the crust, continuing to cut it with the fork until it reaches the consistency shown in the picture.
Step 2: Roll Crust
2. Roll one out a little bigger that the pie plate.
3. Roll the crust onto the rolling pin then unroll it on the pie plate.
Step 3: Make Filling
2. Slice each apple into thin slices (12-16 slices).
3. Mix apples in mixing bowl with sugar, flour, and cinnamon until it reaches even consistency.
Step 4: Add Filling, Butter, and Top Crust
2. Break up the butter/margarine into tsp size pieces and dot it on top of the apples.
3. Roll the top crust onto the rolling pin then unroll it over the apple filling.
Step 5: Trim and Seal Crust
2. Rub a little bit of water on the edge of the bottom crust.
3. Crimp the crust together with your fingers.
Step 6: Bake and Serve
2. Sprinkle a cinnamon/sugar mixture on the top.
3. Bake at 400 for 50 minutes or until done.
Note: If it’s shiny, it’s not cooked. If the middle is not done but the edges are, fold aluminum foil around the edges.