Introduction: Homemade Chocolate Cupcakes and Frosting
1/2 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk, room temperature
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F .
2. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners.
3. Set aside.
Make the cupcakes
4. Whisk the cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl until thoroughly combined.
5. Set aside.
6. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, granulated sugar, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla together until completely smooth.
7. Pour half of the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients then half of the buttermilk.
8. Gently whisk
9. Repeat with the remaining wet ingredients and buttermilk. Stir until combined. The batter will be a little thin.
10. Spoon the batter into the liners . Fill only halfway to avoid spilling over the sides.
11. Bake in batches for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
12. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 cup of butter room temperature
8 oz of cream cheese room temperature
2 to 3 cups of powdered sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
13. Use an electric mixer to beat the cream cheese and butter and food coloring together until completely smooth.
14.Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl to ensure that the mixture is mixed evenly.
15. Beat in the vanilla extract. With the mixer running slowly add in the powdered sugar. Keeping adding more powdered sugar to the frosting until you get your desired level of sweetness and thickness.
16. Use a blunt knife or spatula to spread the frosting, or spoon the frosting into a piping bag to decorate your cupcake.