I adapted this recipe from the good folks over at Natural Health Strategies. I think they'll forgive me for the changes I made. ;-)
- 5 Tablespoons unsweetened Special Dark Cocoa Powder- may substitute Dutch-processed cocoa
- 5 Tablespoons (65 gms by weight) Virgin Coconut oil- solid room temperature
- 5-7 Tablespoons granulated "equal measure" Splenda- to taste. Yes, you can substitute with powdered sugar, but all bets are off the sugar-free, low carb table if you do. ;-)
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract- may substitute with Banana extract or?
- 2 Tablespoons sweetened Coconut flakes
- silicone candy mold or flexible Ice cube tray
- In a glass bow, use a fork to mix the cocoa, coconut oil and splenda together until thoroughly combined. It will be a thick paste.
- Stir in vanilla extract. Taste the mixture and add more splenda to taste.
- Microwave the ingredients for 5 seconds, stir and microwave for 5 seconds more. Stir well. For best results, the consistency of the chocolate mixture should be very soft, but not runny. If needed, microwave another 5 seconds. Set aside.
- Pinch a small amount of flaked coconut into each candy pocket of the mold.
- Spoon the chocolate mixture over the flaked coconut.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until completely solidified.
- Pop the chocolates out of the mold and ENJOY!
Be sure to keep these chocolates refrigerated, as they are best served cold. My family is already on batch number 3 (with chopped craisins!) because there is no such thing as too much chocolate. I'm hiding