Step 4: Making the coconut syrup
Sugar syrup, I've found though, is the way to go with these for 'sweet' infused spirits (fruit spirits, not so much pepper or chile vodka).
1. Combine the sugar and water in the medium saucepot if you haven't already
2. Put on stove over medium high heat. You're going to want to stay put and watch, as it'll go fast. You want to completely dissolve the sugar into the water, then simmer away some of the water. It will get cloudy then go clear.
3. Let simmer about two minutes. You do NOT want it to start turning brown (making sugar syrup, not caramel) a little color won't hurt it, but that's not what we're going for.
4. Add the coconut and stir to combine. It's going to look pretty 'dry' since there's more coconut than syrup, but it will cook down a little. I had a particularly high yielding coconut so it almost didn't look like enough, but your mileage may vary.
5. Let simmer another couple minutes then remove from heat.
6. Let cool a bit before proceeding...sugar is VERY hot.