Introduction: Homemade Cough Syrup:Kashayam
Kashayam is a traditional Indian home remedy used as a cure for many ailments. It is basically a concoction made with different spices and herbs that are commonly available.
There are many types of kashayam used in ayurvedic medicine. Ayurvedic medicine can always be experimented because it does not have any side effects
Make a big batch of kashayam when you have cold and keep sipping it hot 2-3 times a day. You will be relieved of all the symptoms within a day or 2.
So let's get started with the preparation.
Step 1: Ingerdients Needed
- Dry Ginger (Chukku) - 1" piece
- Black peppercorns (Mialgu) - 5-6
- Coriander seeds - 5-6
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Water - 2.5 cups Panam Karkandu/ Honey/ Karupatti/ Jagrrey - to sweeten
Step 2: Roasting
- Take a bowl and keep it on the stove , turn on the flame .
- Add cumin seeds, black pepper to this and roaste these for some time and remove if any unwanted small pieces are present.
- just remove no need to crush them and remove for this. Roast them for a while and take out from the bowl.
Step 3: Crushing
- Slightly crush the seeds (coriander, cumin, peppercorns), and dry ginger using a mortar and pestle.
- No need to put these in a blender as these are not so big and it is good to use a mortar.
- Blending wont workout because these are very small and by crushing only you can make powder out of all these.
Step 4: Boiling
- Now keep a bowl on the stove and turn on the flame.
- Add the powdered items into the water and stir it continuously. you can get nice herbal smell at this stage Boil it.
- when the water turns brown in color
- Reduce the flame and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
Step 5: Strainig
- Take the bowl with the help of a cloth or glove as it will be very hot, strain the liquid into a glass using a filter in he middle.
- You can add jaugery at this stage while drinking but it should be very little. Have it when it is hot only so that it will be effective.
- You can also preserve this fr how many ever days you want.
Drink it twice a day and say Bye Bye to cough and cold!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.