Introduction: Homemade DIY Power Bank Using 18650 Battery
Hello my dear friend,
Want to make power bank at home? Have old dead laptop battery? And want to make something new?
This is a very simple project. You need not to be very good in electronics. It requires very less components.
You can also do much more modifications in it.
I highly recommend you to view this video, it has every thing explained in details.
(This is my first video and project presented on net :))
Step 1: Gather Some Parts
Main required components
- 18650 Lithium ion battery
- 1A TP4056 module with protection circuit
- 3v to 5v USB DC-DC step up module
- A box/case
- Soldering gun and some metal
- Glue gun (if you have)
- some wires
Step 2: The Boss of Power Bank - BATTERY
The main & costly part in power bank is Battery.
The price of every power bank is always dependent on 18650 battery.
Why to use 18650 only?
• Small in size
• Can store large power than any other
• can sustain High discharge current
• Light Weight
Where to find 18650?
• Old Laptop battery (good source, free, many batteries,original)
• Online or local store
Dead laptop battery also have some working 18650 batteries.
I highly recommend you to use at least 2 batteries. One battery is also sufficient. But more batteries will give you more mAh & more input charging current
Beware of FAKE batteries.
Use trusted sites, stores, brands
take care to do not short circuit. (high power = more precaution)
&& +ve terminal + -ve terminal + short circuit = loss of money
You can also use old 3.7V mobile battery.
Step 3: Connections / Circuit Diagram
Connect modules as shown in diagram.
Connections are very simple.
You can also use Single pole switch instead of DPDT switch.
If you want to increase mAh then connect more batteries in parallel.
2nd image shows connections that i had made for my power bank.
Circuit diagram is explained in details in video.
Step 4: Assembly
This is what I made.
I had not shown you how to make assembly in details. The reason is that, every person does not find same size box/case as shown. They can use their own innovative ideas for fitting all the items in what they find.
1) So besides that, I found a small box at home for my power bank.
2) I fitted a small plastic spacer to make space for battery with glue gun.
3) Then used battery connectors instead of directly connecting wires to battery.
4) Made slots in box using soldering iron (Old tip).
5) Put both modules in box and fixed using glue gun.
6) Inserted Battery & that's it it is ready to use.
Step 5: Testing and Modifications
I Had tested my power bank and shown in video.
The power bank works well & as expected.
The mobile is of 2500mAh
And it charged at the rate of approx. 1% per minute.
The power bank if is fully charged, then it can charge mobile once fully. Then it need to be charge again.
So i suggested you to use more battery. But if you want to make it small then use 1 battery.
Modifications you can do :-
1. Make inbuilt emergency torch.
2. charge by solar panels.
3. You can also use this as power source for arduino 5V projects.
4. Can also use old mobile battery.
A VERY BIG THANK TO YOU
Give your opinion regarding to this project & also any improvement needed for presentation & project.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.
Hey Friend where I get 1A TP4056 module with protection and 3v~5v usb dc~dc setup module ? Can I get it from local shop or online ? Please reply me 1st ... I want to make it fast !
You can found it online easily. Search 'tp4056 protection'