The commercially-made equivalent is an effective device, but at over $1000, it's well out of the reach of most hobbyists, me included. So I decided to make my own with parts I had at home.
Step 1: The Parts You'll Need
1. Laptop-type Backpack - The type that has a separate sleeve area for a laptop. Mine's an STM.
2. Straight pole - salvaged from a kid's wading pool.
3. Curved pole - Salvaged from the same pool.
4. Base section - Piece of wood roughly the same size as a laptop.
5. 2 x Hoop Brackets and screws - Same diameter as the straight pole
6. 1 x Threaded hook.
7. Some type of strap to hold your camera - Mine was salvaged from a old babckpack.
- Hook packing. I've used old bike innertubing.
- Pipe joiner bolt. Not needed if you use a one-piece pipe