The key to making an ice cream cake is time. And a good freezer with plenty of space. You'll want to work with cold ingredients, and cold tools. I started this ice cream cake in the morning for an evening party. While it doesn't take a lot of time to assemble, you need to wait at least 2 hours between steps. Ideally, you want to start making the ice cream cake 24 hours before, to allow plenty of time for everything to set.
Step 1: Ingredients
Because I'm making a Carvel cake, I bought vanilla and chocolate ice cream, but you can use whatever flavors you like! The whipped cream frosting is a neutral enough flavor that it pairs well with everything. Cream + sugar = delicious.
For this recipe you will need:
- 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 gallon chocolate ice cream
- 1 box chocolate wafers or Oreos (to de-creme) if you can't find wafers
- 1 bottle chocolate magic shell
- 1 Tbs gelatin
- 1 c whipping cream
- 3 Tbs powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Decorations to top! I used cherries and colorful sprinkles, but I imagine just about anything that you'd find on a sundae would go well with this essentially re-formatted sundae.