I went the simple route, and just bought ice cream besides making it myself. If you're using homemade ice cream (you ambitious chef, you) be sure to use the final product, and not the pre-churned batter.
Because I'm making a Carvel cake, I bought vanilla and chocolate ice cream, but you can use whatever flavors you like! The whipped cream frosting is a neutral enough flavor that it pairs well with everything. Cream + sugar = delicious.
For this recipe you will need:
- 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 gallon chocolate ice cream
- 1 box chocolate wafers or Oreos (to de-creme) if you can't find wafers
- 1 bottle chocolate magic shell
- 1 Tbs gelatin
- 1 c whipping cream
- 3 Tbs powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Decorations to top! I used cherries and colorful sprinkles, but I imagine just about anything that you'd find on a sundae would go well with this essentially re-formatted sundae.
You will also need a springform pan, a mixing bowl, and a power-mixer. Be sure to place these tools in the freezer well before you use them, so everything you're working with is nice and cold.