'Tis true, my friend; you can bring this playground favorite right to your own home, crafted from your own hands, using only a handful of common ingredients.
For all intents and purposes, I'll show you two ways to make your own ice cream: the Ziploc method, and the jar method.
AND GUESS WHAT!!! For all you allergy folks out there, great-tasting ice cream is now possible! You can substitute your favorite "milk" for this recipe!
Step 1: The Ziploc Method
1. Milk - 1 cup or 240 mL - I used Rice Milk; just make sure that if your milk is sweetened, you use less sugar
2. Sugar - 2 tbsp or 30mL - use less if you are using a sweetened milk substitute
3. Vanilla - 1/2 tsp or 2mL
4. Ice - 2 cups or 475 mL
5. Rock Salt - 1/4 cup or 60 mL - this ingredient can also be referred to as ice cream salt
6. A 1-Qt (.94 L) Ziploc bag
7. A 1-Gal (3.78 L) Ziploc bag
Pour milk, sugar, and vanilla into quart-sized (.94 L) Ziploc bag; shake.
Pour ice and rock salt in gallon-sized (3.78 L) Ziploc back; shake.
Put small Ziploc into larger Ziploc. Slosh the bag back and fourth across your countertop until the ice cream becomes nice and thick.
This is Ziploc ice cream; grab a spoon and just eat it right out of the bag! ;]