Introduction: Homemade Microwave Playdough
Playdough is a great arts and crafts toy that is safe and easy to make at home. Here we will describe a step-by-step procedure of creating playdough using simple ingredients and tools. It is quick and easy to make as well as suitable for a wide range of ages for two to three times of fun. Hope you enjoy playing with your homemade playdough!
List of materials:
- 2 cups of flour (250 g)
- 2 tablespoons of cream of tartar (20.25 g)
- 2 cups of water (473 mL)
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil (30 mL)
- 1 cup of table salt (292 g)
- Liquid food coloring of your preference
- 1 whisk
- 1 bowl
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 measuring cup
- 1 oven mitt
- 1 microwave
Step 1: Adding the Flour
- Measure and add 2 cups of flour (250 g) in a bowl.
Step 2: Adding the Salt
- Measure and add 1 cup of table salt (292 g).
Step 3: Adding the Cream of Tartar
- Measure and add 2 tablespoons of cream of tartar (20.25 g).
Step 4: Mixing the Ingredients
- Take a whisk and mix the ingredients in the bowl thoroughly.
Step 5: Making a "Well"
- Use a whisk or your hand to make a “well” (an indent) in the center of the bowl containing the mixture.
Step 6: Boiling the Water
- Measure and place 2 cups of water (473 mL) in microwave for boiling.
- Set time to 2:00 minutes; if the water does not boil then heat in 30 second increments until boiling is achieved.
Caution: Be careful to not over boil the water,as to avoid spills in the microwave.
Step 7: Adding the Oil
- While water is boiling, add exactly 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil into the “well.”
Caution: Adding more than 2 tablespoons may prevent the mixture from thickening into playdough.
Step 8: Removing and Adding the Boiling Water
- Now carefully remove the boiling water from the microwave using an oven mitt.
- Carefully add the 2 cups of boiling water into the “well.”
Caution: Please be careful, as to avoid burns.
Step 9: Adding the Color
- Add 20 or more drops of liquid food coloring of your preference in the bowl.
Step 10: Mixing the Ingredients
- Use a whisk to mix the ingredients in the bowl thoroughly until the mixture thickens.
Step 11: Allowing the Mixture to Cool
- Allow the thickened mixture to sit in the bowl for 5 minutes or more until it cools.
Step 12: Remove and Shape the Playdough
- Remove the dough and shape it into balls for play.
References: "How to Make Playdough Without Cooking." WikiHow. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Aug. 2014. <http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Playdough-Without-Cooking>