Step 1: The Ingredients and Mixing the Dough
- Cake flour - 1/2 cup initally and 1/2 cup later after it is out of the bowl
- All purpose flour - 1 cup
- Eggs - 1 egg
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- (Optional) Tomato Paste - about 4 ounces
- First add in the different flours .
- Now the wet ingredients.
- Begin mixing with your hands, if the dough seems to wet add in a small amount of cake flour.
- Once it starts to clump, remove from the bowl and add in the additional flour.
- It should be fairly dry and tear into strands.
- Now it will be ready for the pasta machine.
Step 2: Rolling It Out
- Set rollers of pasta machine at widest setting (position 1). Feed dough piece through flat rollers by turning handle. The dough may crumble slightly at first but will hold together after two to three rollings.
- Lightly flour dough strip; fold strip into thirds or fourths. Feed through rollers again. Continue process 7 to 10 times until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Roll out dough with machine. Reduce setting to position 3. Feed dough strip through rollers. Without folding strip into thirds, repeat on positions 5 and 6.
Step 3: Choose Your Cut
Attach desired shape and size of pasta roller and feed dough through, catching finished pasta with free hand as it emerges. Repeat kneading and rolling with reserved dough pieces.
Optionally at this time you can choose to cut the sheets into squares and make ravioli or tortellini.
Step 4: Drying and Cooking
For the main picture I made an Alfredo sauce from grated Parmesan cheese, some heavy whipping cream and a little dab of butter.