While it's good to support your local scouts, sometimes you just need a cookie, even when it's not in season!
Step 1: Ingredients
Just to have it handy, here's a repeat of those ingredients:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 115g (1/2 cup) sugar
- 250g (2 cups) all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 225g (3 cups) shredded unsweetened coconut, toasted
- 15-oz soft caramels (I recommend making your own if you have the time!)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp milk
- 8 oz. dark or semisweet chocolate
Step 2: Toasty!
While the dough is refrigerating, preheat your oven to 350F (180C).
Toast the shredded coconut on a baking sheet for about 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently. Let cool while shaping and baking cookies.
Step 3: Shaping
Cut out the shapes with a biscuit cutter, or two differently-size round cutters, or a small round cutter and a straw. You get the idea!
Bake your batches of cookies one sheet at a time for 10-12 minutes, rotating the cookie sheet 180 degrees, halfway through baking. This ensures that all the cookies turn the same color instead of getting browner in the hotter parts of your oven.
Let cookie sheets cool before putting new cookies to be baked on them.