Step 1: Gather Supplies
- Cardstock (alternatively you can use 3x5 index cards, but they will be less like a book and be more susceptible to damage from wear)
- A cutting tool, straightedge and cutting board for cutting the paper and cardstock (I used a pocketknife for the cardstock and the instructions. You can use other cutting tools as available.)
- Scissors (to cut the felt)
- Wide colored tape (I have blue duct tape)
- Instructions for the game you want to include (optional)
Step 2: Optional - Preparing the Instructions
- When I printed the page, I put a border line at the top and the bottom of the instructions to ensure I'd end up with a page that cut properly. You can see this in the instructions displayed in the image of the materials.
- I used the straightedge and pocketknife to cut the page
- I then folded the page leaving one section to be glued to the book.
Step 3: Creating the Book Cover
- Then, I took the duct tape and taped both sides, leaving about a Â½" gap between the covers of the book to give it more of a 'book' appearance and to allow it to be folded easier..
- A couple of hints.
o The cardstock had a back side that ended up being the inside of the book.
o Also, since I didn't want the duct tape seam to show, the seam is on the inside of the book.
Step 4: Optional - Inserting the Instructions
Step 5: Add the Felt
- lay the book down on top of the felt
- cut excess felt away
- Helpful tips:
o Get glue around the edges as well as various spots in the middle to ensure the felt stays in place.
o Don't use too much as it will soak through and make hard spots on the felt
o Use a dark background and a lighter felt if possible so the tape used won't show. Note that I made a game that required a board be drawn on the felt and the lighter background was needed.
o I cut the edges with the pocketknife, but scissors would work better.
o I laid the side of the book with the instructions on an edge of the felt to make trimming the felt easier.
Step 6: Finishing Touches
- Fold over the instructions
- Decorate the outside of the book