Don't have a Japanese restaurant next door to satisfy your gyoza/potsticker craving? Here's how you can make a whole bunch o' gyozas in about half an hour (including prep time) using just a few key ingredients.
Step 1: Prepping the ingredients
Time: about 10 minutes
- Cabbage, finely diced, 2 lbs (it's about 1 head of cabbage)
- Pork, ground, 1 lb
- Green onions, chopped, 1/3 cup (1/4 cup if you prefer less)
- Ginger, chopped, 1 teaspoon (about 2" of ginger root)
- Salt, 1 tablespoon (for prep stage)
- Soy sauce/ sesame oil, 2 tablespoons each
- Ground white pepper, a pinch (optional)
- Gyoza/potsticker wrappers, 1 pack (usually sold in packs of 50 at your local Asian supermarket.)
- Flat-bottomed pan with a lid
- A flexible, flat spatula
- Cabbage is the key "crunch" factor here so dice to your preference.
- Mix a teaspoon of salt into the chopped lettuce; the salt will help extract excess water, which can be poured out after a few minutes of sitting.