This instructable intends to show you how easy is to obtain a good ice cream at home.
I decided to make vanila ice cream because is very easy to flavor but you can try other flavors.
Hope you like this instructable. Try it and enjoy making ice cream
Step 1: Ingredients
1 1/2 cup of milk whole or non-fat (I used whole milk)
3/4 cup of sugar
1 cup of whipping cream
4 egg yolks
4 tablespoons of vanila flavor
Yellow colorant (optional)
A medium bowl
A large bowl
A medium saucepan
Step 2: Ice cream mix (1)
2. Meanwhile, pour the milk into the sauce pan and add the 4 vanila flavor tablespoons. Heat until 55 - 60 C (130 - 140 F). Set aside and let it cool until 40 C (104 F)
3. In the small bowl stir the egg yolks until light.
4. Add sugar gradually and continue mixing until spreading consistency
5. Add the milk to the yolks and continue mixing until you have an homogeneus mix.
Note: These are extra steps added to prevent any Salmonella risks due to the raw egg and is strongly recommended to do it. Moreover, if you are going to make ice cream for your kids you must do it.
However, if you feel comfortable knowing that you are going to consume raw egg, you can skip the following steps but do not tell me later that I didn't warn you about the risk.
6. Heat the mix up to 65 C (140 F) for 10 minutes. Do not forget to stir the mix with a spoon while heating and do no let the temperature rise too much. Try to keep the temperature constant. A tip is to heat up to 75 C (170 F), then turn off the stove and continue stirring with the spoon by 10 minutes. After 10 minutes the temperature should be more or less 65 C.
7. Cool the mix up to room temperature. Do not forget to continue stirring with the spoon while cooling.