This instructable will show you how to make one of the coolest of the cool costumes ever - a full Homestar Runner Costume!
Seriously, you guys.
Step 1: Getting Started - Materials
You will need the following items for this costume:
- 1" thick flexible foam - about 1 roll of 2' x 4' (shoes and head)
- 3'x3' blue felt (bottom line on shoes)
- 2'x4' red fabric (shirt)
- 1 sheet of 1/4" thick flexible foam (for star on shirt)
- 1 collapsible laundry hamper (for the body, I used the Household Essentials Pop-Up Spring Hamper-Mesh from Target)
- Elastic band (for shirt neck and to keep the shoes on)
- 1 4x8' sheet of stiff blue insulation foam (for head frame)
- 1 2x5' sheet of white flannel (for the final layer on the head)
- Stiff cardboard/cardstock (to stiffen the bill on the cap)
- 1/4" thick black foam (for eyes)
- Blue pipe cleaner (for propeller)
- White tights (legs)
- Hot Glue
- Super Glue
- Hot Glue Gun
- Sewing Machine
- Exacto knife
- staple gun
I couldn't fit all of these items into a single picture, so please enjoy this Homestar-o-Lantern picture instead:
Step 2: Making the Shoes
The shoes are very simple.
- Measure two 14x16" half ovals out of 1" thick foam.
- Cut 3" thick strips of blue felt and hot glue them around the foam pieces
- Fit the shoe covers over your shoes and tie elastic strips into them to hold them in place.
- Viola! Homestar shoe covers!