I totally disagree with the contest rule that says cupcakes are not cake, which inspired me to make a cake based on perhaps the most infamous cupcake their is: the hostess cupcake.
I found a filling recipe on the internet and took a few shortcuts - like using a box cake mix - since I just came up with this on a whim. I was pretty happy with it but would make a few slight changes if I made it in the future (I'll list them in the steps)
I ended up taking my finished cake to work and it was a big hit.
Step 1: Gather Ingredients and Supplies
- 3 identical 8-9" pie pans. I only have two and didn't feel like baking in two batches, so I bought a 3 pack of 8.5" pans for $2
- an oven-safe ceramic bowl 3-4" in diameter - I used a great little ceramic ikea bowl
- a cookie sheet
- a ziplock bag
- 1 box cake mix - I used duncan hines dark chocolate fudge cake because it was the closest match to the original
- eggs, oil, & water to mix cake (how much you need of each depends on the mix you use)
- marshmallow fluff
- unsalted butter
- powdered sugar
- semisweet chocolate chips