I found a filling recipe on the internet and took a few shortcuts - like using a box cake mix - since I just came up with this on a whim. I was pretty happy with it but would make a few slight changes if I made it in the future (I'll list them in the steps)
I ended up taking my finished cake to work and it was a big hit.
Step 1: Gather ingredients and supplies
- 3 identical 8-9" pie pans. I only have two and didn't feel like baking in two batches, so I bought a 3 pack of 8.5" pans for $2
- an oven-safe ceramic bowl 3-4" in diameter - I used a great little ceramic ikea bowl
- a cookie sheet
- a ziplock bag
- 1 box cake mix - I used duncan hines dark chocolate fudge cake because it was the closest match to the original
- eggs, oil, & water to mix cake (how much you need of each depends on the mix you use)
- marshmallow fluff
- unsalted butter
- powdered sugar
- semisweet chocolate chips
Step 2: Make batter and prepare pans
Lay out your three pans and lightly coat them with butter or butter spray.
Take your bowl and butter the outside, then place it in the center of one of the pans
Step 3: Pour the batter
I recommend putting the pan with the ring on a cookie sheet so that the bowl won't move around in transit.