Introduction: Hot-Air Blowing Can
This instructable will teach you how to make an ordinary drink can blow out (very) hot air. It can be done over and over again , and only needs alcohol and an ignition source.
Step 1: Obtain the Supplies
The supplies you need are very easy to find and cost at most 5$ (for the alcohol).
Here's the small list:
1) Can. Any that's similar to a soda can would work (needs a hole smaller than the circumference of the can in which the air will escape from).
2) Isopropyl Alcohol. You can find this at places like Walgreen's or Walmart. The higher the purity, the better.
3) Ignition source. Anything that produces fire and is long enough so that your hand is out of the way of the blast would work. In my case, I used a stick with toilet paper wrapped around the end and a lighter, because I was running low on matches.
4) Something to blast hot air at. This is not really necessary, but would make the experience more fun. You can use anything, but just to let you know, the air is hot enough to ignite paper most of the time (although paper ignition might be caused by sprayed alcohol). I do not suggest using live targets, since getting burnt by the hot air is the equivalent of getting scalded by boiling water (trust me, I've tried).
Step 2: Pour the Alcohol Into the Can
The exact amount does not matter. I'd say enough alcohol to fill 1/12-1/9 of the can would be good. Just know that the alcohol should not spill out of the can if laid on it's side with the drinking hole at the lowest point.
Step 3: Shake the Can
Shake the can from side to side. The more vigorously you do this, the stronger the hot air will come out (usually). You can shake the can up and down, but some alcohol may spill out.
Step 4: Lay the Can on Its Side
Lay the can on its side with the hole downward, as the picture indicates. Point the can towards the object you are going to blow the air at (if you have one).
Step 5: Add Fire
1) The ignition source actually is lit on fire.
2) Your hand is not within 3 or so inches from the hole. My index finger got burnt up the first time I tried this (not knowing that hot air will come out). I felt the pain for hours.
If you did everything correctly, very hot air will come out of the can hole, accompanied by a neat whooshing sound. The force of the hot air may spray alcohol out of the can, so watch out.
To do this again, just shake the can more (if alcohol is still inside), and put your ignition source back to the hole.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.