3lbs red skinned potatoes - Sliced in thin(1/8-1/4in)
1lg yellow or vidalia onion- Sliced very thin
3/4 lb bacon Chopped fine + reserved fat from cooking
3-4 Tbs flour
1 Tbs sugar
White Vinegar at least 1.5 cups but have some extra on hand
2 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
Prep Time 15-20 min
Cook Time 30min
Step 1: Prep Hot German Potato Salad
2. The potatoes should be cooked until fork tender. About 20 min. Drain thoroughly after cooking.
3. While the potatoes are cooking sauté the onions and parsley in about 3-4 Tbs of the bacon grease. I bake my bacon ahead of time and usually keep a jar of bacon grease in the fridge.
4. Cook the onions until they become translucent and then begin to slowly add the flour until the mixture becomes thick and has a paste like consistency. You are creating a roux- a classic method of combining fat and four as a thickening agent.
5. After making the roux begin to add the vinegar -stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Continue to slowly add vinegar until the sauce has the consistency of a thick salad dressing.
6. Add the chopped bacon to the dressing.
7. Combine the dressing with the cooked and drained potatoes.
Everything should still be hot and can be served immediately. This dish can also be prepared 1-2 days in advance and then reheated in the oven just before serving.