Introduction: Hot & Spicy Fish Curry
Fish curry is a famous South Indian recipe.It is very spicy and it has rich flavor. The dish is usually rested for some time and then eaten as it helps the fish in absorbing the flavors into it and makes it more juicy and soft.
It goes extremely good with rice, dosa and rotis.
On healthy side, fishes are rich in iron, calcium; provide good vitamins with less carbohydrate and cholesterol. It makes wonderful addition to any nutritious diet.
Traditionally it's cooked in clay or earthen pot which enhances the taste. So if you have earthen pot,please use it.
Step 1: Shopping List
Fish - 1/2 kg (1 lbs) * I used Salmon fish
- Coconut - 1 cup (grated)
- Onion - 1 (chopped roughly)
- Garlic - 2 pods
- Red chilli Powder - 2 Tbsp
- Coriander Powder - 1 Tbsp
- Oil - 1 1/2
- Fenugreek - 1 tsp
- Garlic - 4 pods (chopped)
- Ginger - 1 inch (chopped)
- Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
- Tamarind - Lemon sized
- Tomato - 1 (chopped roughly)
- Green Chilli - 5
- Curry Leaves - a sprig
- Coriander Leaves - 2 Tbsp (chopped roughly)
- Salt -as required
Prepare the Ingredients. I always clean fish and rinse it with turmeric and salt which helps to remove microbes and impurities.
Step 2: Grinding Paste
- Heat the Pan and add 1 cup of grated coconut in the pan and fry it.
- Add the Onion and Garlic pods, saute untill onion turns transparent and light golden colour.
- Switch off the stove
- Add the Red chilli powder and Coriander powder in it, mix well and let it cools
- Grind it smoothly using blender/mixture and keep the paste aside.
Step 3: Making Gravy
- Heat oil in pan and add fenugreek.
- Then add chopped garlic and ginger. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add turmeric powder and mix well
- Then add the grinded paste and saute it for 10 minutes
- Add enough water, salt and add the tamarind and let it boil for 15 - 25 minutes.
Step 4: Add Fish and Finish Curry
- When oil gets separated, add fish pieces into the boiling gravyand let it boil for 5 - 8 minutes.
- Switch off the flame. Now add the tomato, green chilli, curry leaves and oil.
- Cover it with lid and let it cool down. Serve after an hour at least. That will help the fish and tomato to cook well.
- Garnish them with Coriander leaves.
- Serve with rice.
- The fish usually will cook faster so be careful not to break or dissolve them. So after adding fish don't boil them longer.
- Try to use Sesame oil as it gives great flavors to the fish curry.
- This curry even tastes better the next day.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.