This is an insane project. You never know where the rockets gonna go so there really is no safe spot for you to be during the runs.
Step 1: Materials
1. Hot Wheels Car
2. Battery (12-Volt)
4. Either a straw or a Pen (WARNING: straw may melt)
5. Wire (length of wire depends on length of track)
6. Plank for track (length depends on how far you want the car to travel)
7. Metal stoppers (buy alot because these rockets just fly through them)
8. C Rockets
9. Vernier Photogates (5X)
Step 2: Build the Car
1. Take your Hot Wheels car and attach the pen/straw to the car so that you can run the track wire through it. WARNING: the straw may melt so use either the pen or something thicker for better support.2. Attach the rocket to the top of the Hot Wheels Car. Make sure the pen/straw is not going to be in the line of fire when the rocket's ignited or else it will melt.
Step 3: Making the Track
(The distance of the plank is 5 meters)
1. Plank, attach metal stoppers to the ends and run a wire right down the middle.
* The plain plank offers more friction than the PVC because it has a rougher texture.
* The inertia of the car when the force is against the metal stoppers causes the car to bounce back creating a displacement invalidating the data.
2. Plank, attach PVC Fencing right on top of the plank, use metal stoppers to ends and run a wire down the middle. (WARNING: the smoke created by the rockets will trigger the Vernier Photogates and make your data invalid)
Place each photogate 1 meter apart from each other.
(This needs to be done in multiple trials. The speed of the rocket is soo fast that not each gate gets triggered each time)