This is a typical dish from Latin America and here in my country (Colombia), is found in almost every corner. Especially for movie nights, sit and watch sports with friends or just to eat at any time! And with a large glass of Refajo is perfect for those hot days.
There are many ways to do it, some more elaborate than others, but here you'll see how I like to prepare myself.
Step 1: Ingredients
- Hot dogs.
- Potatoes (Standard, those of French fries; There is another type, yellow potatoes -Papa Criolla-, which are delicious for this particular dish).
- Double cream cheese (or cheddar).
- Chicken or Pork Sausages (Chorizo).
- Coriander leafs.
- Vegetable oil.
- Salt and pepper (to taste).
Drink - Refajo -
- Your preferred Beer (Taste better with bitter beer)
- Kola Soda (Also know as Kola Champagne Soda). If you can get "Colombiana" or "Kola Roman"... Nice!
Step 2: Salchipapas: Cutting and Cooking
We will cut the potatoes, sausage, chorizo and ham. Cut into the shape that you like, but the "Papas Criollas", if they are small is better to leave them whole and with the skin (Just clean it well).
Prepare a pan with enough vegetable oil to submerge completely the ingredients. Leave it until it is hot and begins to fry the ingredients. Be careful, do not need to throw them and be sure to dry the water they may have. When ready, take them out and let the oil drain. You can put them on a plate with paper towels.
Step 3: Preparing the Sauce
Cut into small squares onion and tomato. Put the onion, tomato and coriander finely chopped in a bowl, add a gush of lemon juice, some vegetable oil and water. Add salt and pepper to taste and mix.
An easy way to cut the tomatoes: Cut into 4 parts, then remove the center portion (not dispose, save it for another preparation!), Then cut horizontally and vertically.
If you add hot sauce to the preparation, then you have "Ají de Cilantro," also typical of my country.